Once you Have Become a Member of a Blog Site
* Hide your Account Login Details - Once you have become a member of the blog website, hide your login details so that others cannot gain access to your membership information and user profile.
* Blog Topic – Select a topic for your blog that is sensible and you think other would enjoy reading about.
* Password Protect your Blog – Make sure nobody else can enter information into your blog.
* Email - Use an email that is not identifiable. Use your online name instead of your first name and surname.
* Use of Avatars and Photos – Select a picture of an avatar that suits your personality but doesn’t disclose your identity. Refrain from using your own photo on your blog.
* Hide Profile from Public View - If possible stop others from looking at your profile by password protecting it, or setting up any options that let only those people you choose to view it.
When you are Blogging
* Personal Information - Never enter in personal details or anything that can identify you. Remember, once something is entered on the Internet it is often very hard to remove.
* Correct Information - Make sure the information you place into your blog is grammatically correct and the spelling is accurate.
* Be Nice to People - Make sure you treat other people with respect and only write about people if you have their permission. Never disclose any personal information about your friends or family.
Other Things you can do
* Hide your Blog from Search Engines – You may wish to prevent your blog from ending up in the search engines. Most blog sites describe ways to do this.
* Look at your Blog Statistics – If your blog has statistics available, watch out to see if there are any patterns emerging about your popular entries.
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
The Australian government offered these and other tips of how to keep safe when using blogs.